Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Horner syndrome and droopy eyelid from ACDF surgery

advertisement

Comments

• Hi beachboy just wanted to know how did your syndrome continued? My 2 years old son just went to surgery for a tumor extraction and got this syndrome . Is there any way to regenerate nerves? Some supplement or vitamins? Thanks!
  • nipagannnipagan KissimmeePosts: 1
    I had original ACDF on 7/8/16 for c4-c7 and had revision on 11/3 /16 due to complications. I still have minor complications and add to that Horner's Syndrome and a hoarse voice. I am not very happy about this. The surgeon can't even tell me if the Horner's will resolve, just a wait and see approach.
  • advertisement
  • Did you Horner's develop after your first or second surgery? Have you seen any improvement yet? It is two weeks since I had an acdf and my surgeons office is saying that is likely my horners will resolve in a few weeks or months, my eye doctor said that is not likely. I woke up with it immediately following surgery.
    Thanks and good luck.
  • I just had ACDF surgery on 12/23/2016 for c/5 c/6 c/6 c/7 and developed what i believe is horner's syndrome drooping eyelid no sweating on one side of face eye not dilating the way it should but my surgeon did not want to admit this he said that my eye looked fine to him and I told him that it felt heavy all the time and he flashed a light in my eye said it looked good and said that I would not get those symptoms from my surgery and I am kind of upset because I woke up from surgery hardly able to open my right eye they gave me steroids for it in the hospital and it didnt do anything I am finally going to see a eye doc specializing in nerves next week he only refered me to see the eye doctor after my husband took a picture of my face after i had a hot shower you could draw a line right down my face one side was hot and the other white one side was cool the other hot anyone else have this happen?
  • I had my disc replacement surgery at c5c6 in October 2015. I woke up with my right eye nearly closed. My doctor was trying to tell me it might be from the surgical tape or the anesthesia. That was insulting. The anesthesiologist said it was likely Horner's syndrome. When I saw the surgeon again he sad that it was Horner's syndrome and Horner's Syndrome is rare. In 20 years of surgery he's only had one other case and that patient allegedly showed no signs of Horners after 6 months. I don't know how I was supposed to feel....but I didn't feel like I'd won the lotto. He told me to see a neuro-ophthalmologist. I chose to see one unaffiliated with the hospital. He confirmed the dx and gave me a short term treatment. Iopidine drops. I believe they are an alpha one agonist. They worked to keep my eyelid up. Unfortunately, I developed an allergy to the drops and kept getting allergic conjunctivitis...so I had to stop taking them. My lid isn't as droopy as it was at first. The sweating and redness on one side of the face has been resolved, but my eye still does droop and my pupil is still less reactive on that side. I don't know what the next step is. Has anyone had corrective surgery for the droopy eyelid?

• advertisement
  • I wanted to second the comment above:

I had my disc replacement surgery at c5c6 a week ago. I woke up with my left eye nearly closed. My doctor was trying to tell me it might be from the surgical tape or the anesthesia as well. The PA said it was likely Horner's syndrome. When I saw the surgeon again he sad that it was Horner's syndrome and Horner's Syndrome is rare. In 20 years of surgery he's never seen it. I don't know how I was supposed to feel....but that made me feel WAY worse. my question is has ANYONE who has Horners due to ACDF seen it GO AWAY however long post surgery??! I havent seen any positive outcomes here, and Im trying to be so positive early on:(

advertisement