Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Numbness and burning in foot after back surgery

advertisement

Comments

• All of the symptoms you all (or family members) are suffering from are so exactly like mine. The pain I can deal with as it dissipates a little more everyday. What my issue has been since surgery (May18th 2016) is I still have the aggravating numbness, though not as bad, in my legs. The real issue is that my feet (both) have dried out to the point of cracking and the burning keeps me up most of the night. I can not wear anything on my feet for any length of time either as it exacerbates the situation. I have tried the lotions and such. Talked with the Dr. and he says the burning, dry feet are completely unrelated to the surgery. I had L5 to S1 issues and L4 herniation. I can not remember what the surgeries were called but you guys get the drift. Anyone else with the aggravating dry feet and burning? I feel as if I spend 4 hours a day walking on hot cement barefooted. Of course I'm not. HELP!!! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Just recently scheduled for PT. Hoping that will make a difference. :(
  • beattiesandybbeattiesandy Australia Posts: 3
    edited 08/31/2016 - 12:11 AM
    I've recently had my L5 S1 TLIF done & post op three weeks tomorrow. I'm still sore to the point my left leg, calf, toes & foot are numb. Can't sit for long either, apologies for going on but when you have pain & feel down as to an op that I thought would help. My name as I should have mentioned is Sandy I'm a 45 year guy from Scotland living in Brisbane QLD.
  • advertisement
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello iamjules !
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

Hello lildvl67 !
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Sue
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Rod's Pain
    Its been a while since you first posted your story and I am curious how you are doing now? Our stories are very similar especially with only being able to wear flip flops - Let me know
  • advertisement
  • kevinu81kkevinu81 Spring TXPosts: 3
    I'm new here, with many questions that you guys helped answer...

I'm 35, 5'11, weigh 270. Got my L5S1 herniated disc 8mm into my sciatic nerve about 7 years ago

Since my accident I recently got diabetes and high blood pressure, and to much iron in my liver!

Been dealing with this pain. recently 8 months ago I started feeling numbness and burning on my feet and toes. Couldn't sleep and was in so much pain and had a miserable life! Finally got back on Tramadol 50mg and that really didn't help much. Then I got prescribed Gabapentin 500mg. I can finally do things again with Gabepentin!

I'm scheduled for surgery in 2 days microdesceptamy, which I'm freaking out!

What I want with this surgery is for the numb pain on my feet to go away! I need to get back to exercise to get rid of this diabetes !

Anyone else get these health problems as well after the fact?
    Hello Bunnell22 !

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Sue

Hello Kevinu81 !

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Sue

• buzmedtranbbuzmedtran Las Vegas, NVPosts: 1
    I had a fusion at the L5-S1 in Feb 2016. When I came out of my surgery, I had extreme nerve pain in the left leg from the ankle, calf, and behind the knee. Then, 3 months go by and now I can not move 3 toes on the outer left foot. I told my surgeon about this and he just said..."this is not from the surgery". I did not have any of these symptoms prior to my surgery. I have been living in hell every since. I have had numerous CAT scans and all they can tell me is the hard-ware is not pushing on any nerves and give me my walking papers. I had been complaining of this nerve pain every since I came out of my surgery and all they can tell me is that was a normal healing process. Then, I find out that it is not normal. I found a new Neuro that I trust will get to the bottom of what happened during my surgery. I was wondering if anyone else had a Neurologist present during their surgery. I did and he introduced himself to me and explained that he would be monitoring the nerves during the surgery. There is no mention of any Neurologist present on my Post Op report or any test (Evoked Potential) that is suppose to be done after surgery to check for nerve damage. Something looks real wrong here. I was wondering if anyone else had gone through this same thing!
  • Bunnell - I rarely come on the site anymore. I still like to check in every so often, because I hated when I read some post that was what I was dealing with and then they would never folllow up. Overall I'm ok. I still deal with some sort of pain everyday but can manage it. As most people I ha e good days and bad days. Currently I'm only on Gabapentin for my nerve pain. I would definitely say it got better but I still think about it several times a day. The good news is that I can do most anything but tend to stay away from any thing that may hurt me again. Recently I have had some lower back pain that I had not had prior so I bought a inversion table to see if I can work it out. I'm to scared to go to the Dr..lol! I know it's hard but hang in there. I will be 3 years post surgery this June and i still pay for improvement
advertisement