Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Do I Need A Letter of Release from Surgeon?

Hello, Everyone!

I need to find a pain management clinic, as my surgical facility has decided that they will no longer be refilling my medications after this coming month. My question is this--do I need a letter from the surgeon stating that I am being released from their prescriptive care for the new pain management clinic, along with a list of the medications they're currently prescribing? I do NOT want make any errors of ignorance, and was told I may need a letter from the surgeon stating that they are officially releasing me. Has anyone ever had to do this?

Thank you in advance for your input/thoughts!
Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
Firm believer in PMA!
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,636
    Hi Kimmy,

All of my surgeons did a final discharge appointment with me. Thats when they basically washed their hands completely of my situation. That includes all medications.

I was just going back from the surgeon to my physiatrist so that was an easy transition. But since you are looking for a new pain management doctor, I would have everything in writing. This way you can show them in real time all the information.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: [email protected]
  • Therein lies the rub, Ron. They're ONLY stopping the prescriptions...they wrote the prescription for--and still want all the information faxed to them about-- the results of the metal allergy testing!! I feel like I am half-in/half-out! If they're not doing a full discharge, then theoretically, any pain management clinic would not take me on if I am still technically under a surgeon's care, would they? I am SO confused as to how to proceed!!!
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • advertisement
  • I am in pain management but also still under my surgeon's care. My surgeon does not prescribe anything except for scripts for imaging or injections to be given to the radiologist or pain management doctor.

I signed a contract with my PM doc and she looks at my escript records every month. I also was refered to this particular pain management doc by the surgeon. Can you ask for a referal as you are technically still under the surgeon's care except for scripts? That is how it worked in my case.
  • Sheri76Sheri76 Michigan Posts: 574
    My surgeon referred me to a pain clinic after almost a year from my fusion; said I wasn't fully healed from the surgery yet.

I'm still with the same PM. I have never had to sign a contract with them though; maybe Michigan is different?

Been thinking about you Kimmy, hope things will improve for you soon : )
  • I did ask for a referral. I was told it wasn't their responsibility, and it ultimately depends on my insurance coverage. :(
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • advertisement

• Kimmy72 said:

I did ask for a referral. I was told it wasn't their responsibility, and it ultimately depends on my insurance coverage. :(

See that just really made me boil! You would think in this day with all the guidelines and rules that doctors who are half way washing their hands of a patient could at least provide a referal or letter to help out.

I hope you get sorted out soon. I know you do not want to break the rules and pain management is all about not upsetting the apple cart these days. I guess the best thing you can do at this point is to truthfully talk to the new doctor and bring your records from the surgeon and ask the pharmacy for a print out of your script history. The more paper you bring the more they tend to listen. My pharmacy can print script history for 9 months prior. I hope that helps. If they are willing at the PM office to refill your meds right away offer to sign a contract that you wont get meds from the surgeon.

That is my best advice. I hope you feel better and get things in order soon Kimmy. I am thinking of you!
  • Hi Kimmy, it's ridiculous they won't refer you. It's possible you may have to get the referral through your primary care physician, and the PM clinic accepts your insurance. I hope everything works out and you get the very best of care :)
    Ol' Spiney..Micro-D L4-L5, TLIF L4-S1 -post op central HNP L4-S1,stenosis, retrolisthesis, EF, facet arthropathy, lumbar& cervical DDD. FBSS- Medtronic pain pump & SCS
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    I was thinking as Meyday, above.
    Hopefully your primary would refer you. Primary's do referrals so often.

Once in with new PM and you sign all the medical release papers, your PM will have your information.
    When he's helping with the pain, he can help with the allergic responses you have going on since your surgery.

Maybe he would refer you to new surgeon for second opinion on that.

I am very hopeful that there is help out there for you!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Munkzilla--I appreciate the tip about getting the printout from the pharmacy!!! I did not know you could do that!! I'm absolutely certain those records will reflect that I am in NO way irresponsible when it comes to medications. Thankfully, I also made sure to print out the records from my old PM clinic a while ago.

Meydey--The PM clinic my primary care doctor referred me to was the same one I fired! I think what I will do is search on my insurance company site, and then call my doctor's office with the information for them to send in the referral. Hopefully, that will work...AND that the my old PM clinic will not be the only facility to which my doctor is "capitated". Now THAT would stink! Thank you so much for your input!!!

Savage--Thank you. I am also searching for a facility that will do the allergy testing. I have a list to go through from the place that is THE go-to for metal allergy bloodwork. It's quite the process, but once it's set up, I'm hoping it will go smoothly after that. SOMETHING has to!!!
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Kimmy....
    It is so sad that allergy testing isn't mandatory prior to your kind of surgery.
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

advertisement