Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Sick and Tired of the "War on Opioids"

I am so tired of the media and politician's demonizing opioid medications because of the HEROIN epidemic. I work in healthcare and Im telling you, there is a coordinated effort from the CDC on through the government machine to move all opioids to Class 1 medication classification. Essentially, Class 1 has "no medical use" and cannot be prescribed. This is the same category as Cocaine, marijuana, LSD, etc.

The trouble isn't the medication! It's human abuse. Address the real problem which is human behavior, but allow the medication to be used and prescribed appropriately. On the local radio today they had a pain management doctor explain the difference between abuse and physical dependence. The DJ was astounded at the difference between the two definitions. He thought that dependence was the same thing as abuse and causes ALL patients to crave the drug to the point of stealing from people and cooking it up. I was blown away at what I was hearing. Thing is, the media has a story line they want to pursue that makes patients look like crack heads.

Many people have now heard of Narcan and think it's a salvation "reversal" drug. What many people don't realize is that when you give the Narcan to an abuser, it throws them into immediate withdrawls and in many cases the people come out of their stupor throwing punches...then puking and crapping themselves. Many of these abusers have started going to hospital parking lots to use their drugs so that if they go unconscious, someone will find them and take them inside the ER. Again, human behavior is the problem!

I wish I knew what the solution to this problem is, but I don't. But I do know that not all opioids are heroin and not all patients are dope addicts as the media likes to portray. Rant over, thanks!

Keith
Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
advertisement

Comments

• nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 274
    EMS Guy - Thanks for your rant! I agree, it is a human behavior problem. My worst fear with my severe spine/neck pain is that I can at any time have my pain killers cut off. I have passed every drug test and only taken prescribed drugs. A good day for me is pain level of eight. I hate what the pain killers do to my body (GI issues and list continues). Please keep ranting, because some of us are in such severe pain and our options are very limited.
  • Thanks EMS guy, it doesn't surprise me one bit. This disinformation propagated by the media rarely show the ease in suffering opioids provide. But on the other hand, pharmaceutical companies have powerful lobbyists who won't let them reclassify them to Schedule I. They make way too much profit to allow that to happen. I'm also aware of the new CDC guidelines that restrict the amount and dose a doctor may prescribe. Heroin addiction and overdoses happened as a result of stricter government regulations. This is very unfortunate, but legitimate chronic pain sufferers( from malignant or non malignant causes) shouldn't be collateral damage.
    Ol' Spiney..Micro-D L4-L5, TLIF L4-S1 -post op central HNP L4-S1,stenosis, retrolisthesis, EF, facet arthropathy, lumbar& cervical DDD. FBSS- Medtronic pain pump & SCS
  • advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,437
    Loved your rant!! I think we all feel the same way. So what comes next? Doctors are going to be suggesting the SCS or pain pumps?
    I'm not getting political but I started by emailing every Representative and congressman in the state of Indiana. I let them know my situation and my problems with pharmacies, not just the drugs but what the pharmacies are doing.
    Is it going to do any good, who knows but at least I can say I did something.
    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my Medical History
  • How please someone tell me or all of us how are we going to sink it into their heads that doing this to Chronic Pain sufferers is going to create a world of broken homes, lost jobs, insanity, suicide, beatings, family's destroyed, depression and good people either putting a gun to their head or going to the streets. It has started I heard a story the other day of a hard working guy who was sent to a pain clinic thinking he would be (he did everything they told him to and more) helped well no surprise meds were cut immediately and he went home wrote letters to every doctor who had failed him and took his life. This guy was working, paying the bills living some kind of a quality life. Pain there are those who will judge him call him a coward but I won't pain eats at you day after day after day strips you of who you were and each day is a job to just survive let alone hope for relief or a doctor who won't let the CDC guidelines stop him from helping a person who follows the rules and just wants a dang life.
    By the way the CDC is guidelines not laws but boy are they ever being used as if they are the "law". Did you know as I have said their information they use was not even correct when they drummed those Guidelines up. It's all about he pat on back and the news coverage they get big shots who act like they are going to fix the problem what a joke. Like you said they don't even get the difference between addiction and dependence. What is it now 2 to 4% Chronic Pain med users become addicted hell scream that one to the hills when there are thousands dieing each day due to the 3rd leading cause of death "medical mistakes". Do you see that on the news no way who would get a pat on the back or make money bringing that to the attention of the people of this country.
    I had a conversation with a doctor the other day too when a person commits suicide due to pain cause they have been cut off will the reason for the death be stated on the paperwork or buried. Veterans are killing themselves everyday why are they not pounding the heck our of that one to help them why is that not in the news and what about all the kids being stolen and sold into sex slavery. I cannot stand it but I need to be quiet I could go on and on with all their survives, tests, experiments on and on it is all full of junk how they sneak around the truths and pick and choose the numbers to justify what they are doing. I won't have to stand before God and ask for forgiveness at least not for that.
    I think it was William who talked about cutting back on your meds and then you won't get them back well he is 100% right about that and think hard about it keep what you get and lock them up for the future looks ugly and soon.
    Not only that but the DEA wants the Pharmacist involved up front center in the "war on drugs" my doctor friend told me to read up on it. They want them to quiz you on what steps you have taken to decrease your pain, medications, therapy, mental health etc. and what were the results. They want them involved in the choices and decisions your doctors make regarding your care and your medications. Read up on it if you don't believe it how crazy can you imagine and my friend thought it was the biggest crock ever.
    I am sorry for going on but I'm not cause I could say a lot more. I just want to thank you so much for doing that for writing in and trying to help.
    What are we going to do is there an idea or does anyone know of what we could do besides worry to open some eyes.
    I sit here at a level of 8/9 wanting just one hour of that beast out of my head.
    PS you know what I think about all that money they have used for their projects, meetings, dinners, trips etc. to fix us the big 2 to 4 % problems could be used to find a cure for childrens cancer.
    Ok I am done
    Sherri
  • ameliapondaameliapond WIPosts: 54
    edited 12/15/2016 - 8:33 AM
    I am so sick of the [edit] negative and wrong hype about opioids. I've had doctors explain the difference between dependence and addiction to me. I've also had to explain it to other doctors who should know better. One of the factors in deciding to delay neck surgery indefinitely is that my neuro is one of those anti-pain med judgmental jerks who didn't seem to know the difference or even care. It sounds awful, but I really wish doctors like that the kind of pain we spineys deal with. Maybe then they'd get it. I may become a victim of that nonsense soon. I might be facing an insurance change that would force me to get a different primary doc. I really fear that. My current Dr listens, understands, and works with me to find proper meds to take pain to bearable level. So many doctors refuse to do any of that. Without my meds. I'd have to either drink all the time (I rarely to never drink now), or risk arrest and try marijuana - my state doesn't have medical mar. & probably never will. It's not fair or even humane to force people in pain into crappy choices like that. Without pain relief, I don't know how I could even live. All because of overreaction and lies and political maneuvering, and ppl who make the decisions who just don't care. So that's my rant for the night. Thanks for listening!
  • advertisement
  • Memerainbolt, I commend your efforts to spread awareness and our point of view on this matter. It's sad to see people already are suffering and have no where to turn. It can happen to any of us at any time if things go on. This reminds me of Prohibition when alcohol became illegal. A prime example of good intentions gone awry. All you see is primary negative views of opioid therapy and no positive cases of improved quality of life for those who take them. It seems that they are portrayed as not doing anything else but taking pain pills. We have exhausted numerous conservative and invasive procedures in the hopes of getting better. It's the part of the story that is often disregarded.
    Ol' Spiney..Micro-D L4-L5, TLIF L4-S1 -post op central HNP L4-S1,stenosis, retrolisthesis, EF, facet arthropathy, lumbar& cervical DDD. FBSS- Medtronic pain pump & SCS
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,437
    Vent away!! And while you are this mad send those emails out!!
    We have a voice, use it. Our bodies are racked with pain, our lives have been turned upside down, let someone know about it.
    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my Medical History
  • nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 274

Thanks for all the rants! I really mean it!

I read an article in the newspaper this morning about drug makers pushing the "abuse-resistant pills". As the article went on to say and used a popular generic opioid as an example that sells for $38 for a month's supply, the brand "abuse-resistant pills" sell for $268 for a months supply. I think there is an old expression, follow the money trail. To make matters worse, the article went on to quote a recovered drug abuser that said he had used known techniques to bypass the "abuse-resistant pills".

EMS Guy, I'm back to your statement, "it's a human behavior problem".

• Absolutely, our input is definitively needed in this anti-narcotic narrative. I agree regulations are necessary as long as they don't deprive people with legitimate pain from much needed drug therapy. You'll never see Dr. Phil give a sympathetic interview to a chronic pain patient. He would say "you don't need pain meds..go to rehab". Then what? Pain and the underlying problem is still there. I heard a case in Florida where a man with extensive spinal injuries and surgeries was arrested for drug trafficking because he was on several painkillers prescribed by his doctor. Under duress, the doctor testified against him and this poor man landed in prison. Mercifully he had a pain pump and it took time and relentless advocacy from his wife for him to be treated behind bars. I don't know if he's still incarcerated. Tragic story.
  • Its not fair AGREED, people need meds to fight their pain.. We all suffer
advertisement