Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Sick and Tired of the "War on Opioids"

• As a W/C patient, I've been hauled into court twice in the past two years where they have tried to get out of paying for treatment that my Agreement states I'm entitled to have. I beat them both times without being able to use an attorney. I think the biggest reason I was able to do that was because they broke the law both times and I caught it with my own documentation. Everyone has to be an advocate for their own care. If you rely simply on the doctors office to drive your healthcare, you're going to end up paying too much or not receiving the most adequate care.

I'm on record for not being a fan of the ACA. Yes, healthcare was broken but the solution threw the baby out with the bath water. To me, if you get pharmaceutical companies under control, tort reform enacted and cap healthcare costs based on procedure then we could turn it all around. But, the first two things will never happen in our current political climate on non-negotiation.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • What a great thread so far. I need to finish reading all of it.

In the meantime I recently read to Google "Opioid Addiction Is a Huge Problem, but Pain Prescriptions Are Not the Cause."

Excellent articles to be found there.

• advertisement
  • Geez... why do we have to live in the crosshairs ? It’s honestly like being in grade school when one rotten kid did something really bad and the teacher couldn’t prove it was THAT kid so we ALL got punished.

But this is REALLY scaring me even more because of a recent occurrence. I have a really complex cause of my CP. I have Ehlers Danlos which has decided to really steal away much of my good health and my spine failed in 2011. C5, T6 & L5 all spontaneously ruptured as a result of scoliosis, spondylosis and MPS. After 30+ epidurals, RFA...NOT being a surgical candidate I’m 2 weeks out from having my Nevro HF10 SCS implant done. Now going IN to the surgery I was already white knuckling through the day on my current med schedules. After making a 6 inch incision on my thoracic, multilevel laminectomy trying to secure paddles as straight as possible on a curved spine, another 3 inch incision for the device...a 5 HOUR SURGERY... the neurosurgeon ordered NOTHING to manage the surgical pain OUTSIDE my typical daily med schedule.

I have NO DOUBT... the “war on opioids” being force fed by both federal AND state authorities played a significant role in why I was allowed to suffer. And I promise you I SUFFERED. It was about a week before I didn’t cry anytime I changed position. There were moments I prayed for death. I’ve had 3 children “naturally” back in the mid 80’s when that was just how you gave birth, gall bladder surgery in 87, the good old abdominal cavity opened... but the post surgical pain from my procedure on the 14th made those feel like splinters.

We already know from the trial I’m not going to be able to decrease me meds significantly in the near future, so what can I do to protect myself from having my meds stripped away ?

There’s mention in this thread about genetic testing in regards to pain med efficacy ... is this something I can bring up to my PM or a geneticist ? We suspect I’m resistant because of my EDS... will having that medically PROVEN serve me any good ?

This just seems extremely unfair. Because “others” make choices to abuse prescription opioids ... “we” are just collateral damage. They can’t have any valid proof that this war WILL ultimately cause decent human beings to SUFFER, so as many “studies” it takes to prove theirs no benefit from long term use... is going to be the ultimate goal here.

The SAME people abusing opioids today chasing their high, will find something else to replace it. They will chase that high and GET IT no matter WHAT new laws are written. What happens to us ?

• Hi Dawn,

I'm sorry about everything you've been through and the agony you must have been in post operatively. There is a genomic DNA test that your PM can order to test you. The test can determine if your body is able to metabolize certain medications. It's a little pricey, but if it means proving your case about your medication, it's probably worth it. I had it done because my PM thought that perhaps early on that I wasn't being forthright about the meds he had prescribed working. After the test, he said the results showed my body does not metabolize oxycodone or hydrocodone. Essentially, I was urinating the medicine out of my body without it working. After he got those results, he prescribed Opana ER which worked very well. At least until the War on Opioids began and the FDA strong armed ENDO into no longer manufacturing Opana ER due to drug abusers. I now take generic Oxymorphone 10 mg x 6 times a day. It's okay, but I HATE the ups and downs of my pain level whereas the ER version kept things pretty even across the board.

I recommend writing your elected people and let them know what there "War on Opioids" is causing you. Just like good ole' American style, the people hurting will be victims of this issue while the addicts are treated like poor innocent people who need to be coddled...and will be by the politicians.

• Keith, I was just wondering the other day how you were doing. I know what you mean about the ups and downs when you are on a short acting med only. I was so hoping you could find a long acting drug that you could take. I think you tried most of them though didn't you? Anyway, please keep posting on how things are going. Did you try Oxycontin? I should remember but I don't. Sorry.

• advertisement
  • Hi Cindy,

I was on Oxycodone for a while, but it didn't work. That's the medication which triggered my PM to do the Genomic testing on me. The only options I have now are staying on the generic oxymorphone or going to Suboxone, Methadone, Fentanyl or Butrans. Based on what I know about all of these meds, I want to avoid them if at all possible. Plus, I am responsible for all our Controlled Meds at work and I don't want to be taking ANY medication that we also have in stock. The absolute last thing I want/need is someone saying Fentanyl is missing and it's in my system because it's prescribed. Each time my meds changed, I did a voluntary drug screen at work for them to see what is baseline for me so that if there ever is a concern, they can see what's my "normal". Plus, we have an extremely robust controlled substance program where there is dual authentication on all administrations.

I've been on a diet for a few weeks and have gone from 215 down to 204, so the extra weight being gone has helped a little in the pain relief efforts. But, the cold snap we just had really had me flared up a few days. I've also started therapeutic massage. Hurts like heck at times, but sure does get the knots worked out. I'm also looking into acupuncture to see if that may help. I did just get another MRI done for my upper back this time. It shows DDD from T1-T12. I really should have been easier on my body when I was younger!

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,432

I was reading through the thread and wanted to congratulate you on the weight loss. I know it will help with some of the pain.
    My grandson has lost over 40 lbs. in 3 mos. just by cutting out the carbs.
    Good luck!!

Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my Medical History
  • Thanks, Sandra! It's a challenge at times because I LOVE bread and pasta. Darn shame they have to be carbs. My doctor did say that if you take a potato and bake it, then refrigerate it for 24 hours, it is no longer considered a starch and ok to eat on the diet. I told him that was just witchcraft! He swears by it.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,365

Dang it, would this work for Pasta! Cook my pasta, bake it (no, unless its lasagna or baked ziti or baked manicotti) refrigerate it for 24 hours (yeh, right, pasta would never last that long in my house)

i need a pill that takes all the carbs I love (especially pasta) and turn them into energy and something good

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: [email protected]
  • 70 lbs in 9 months

Feel better..but colder

William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health