Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Sick and Tired of the "War on Opioids"

advertisement

Comments

• I believe whole heartedly in the use of anti-abuse formulas for medication, but the costs for those meds is unreal. My one month supply of Opana ER30 is $900.00! My one month supply of generic Oxymorphone 10 for breakthrough pain (45 pills) is $46.00. Pharmaceutical companies are one of the three MAJOR reasons our healthcare system is broken. I could write for hours about that.

The CDC has their conversion chart for medications to equal "morphine doses". Many doctors will not exceed the recommended equivalent factor for a person. I had an IME done a couple months ago as part of a court case with my WC carrier who wants to stop paying for Facet Joint Injections on me. The IME (Insurance Doctor) knew I work for a health care company and in emergency medicine. She asked me, "you know what the CDC says about equivalency dosing right? How does that make you feel knowing you take 230 times the recommended level"? I responded that I was conflicted about it. I said that I know the CDC does some good work, but I also know that when I take my opioid medication, I don't hurt as bad. She did not like that answer! She looked at me and said, "this appointment is over, show yourself to the door". I was shocked at how she treated me. I've spoken with my PM and PCP about my prescribed meds and both feel the amount is appropriate because it works. My body doesn't metabolize medications the same way others do and require more than normal to get pain relief from it.

I think that our political system and media machine need to let doctor's practice medicine the best they can and simply prosecute those who abuse the system. Enabling addicts by giving them free needles and antidote drugs so they can go right back and do it again is the definition of insanity.
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,561
    My body doesn't metabolize medications the same way others do and require more than normal to get pain relief from it.

I have spoken a great deal about this being one of the prime reasons undertreatment exists, doctors are using an approach that dates back to begining of time. Try this, see how it works. Their are better ways now with DNA/genetic testing and several of the PM I have the utmost respect for use this before prescribing anything. They see worst of worst, drug seekers and suddenly when they are prescribed the correct pain meds, sometimes high dose opiods they become regular people, return to work, vitals lower, health returns, etc.. And in the end actually begin to lower doses on their own vs need increasing. It is very interesting to read on. Another thing of interest is that testosterone levels have shown to affect how the body uses opiods to address pain. The PM I love also says along with genetic testing, he tests testosterone levels because without proper levels no matter what he does adequate, manageable pain relief cannot occur. This is a heavy hitter in industry specializing in worst cases imaginable, given up on by other doctors. I did not just take his word or the write ups, I started to see his name in so many forums and it was always the same. Dr. X gave me my life back, over and over. He speaks very shameful of many in the PM world and how they are undertreating patients.

From a simply common sense aspect speaking with my mom, a 20 yr RN, she has said it many times that we used to hit people with morphine and they wouldnt blink and no pain relief, then we would switch to demerol ( I think, and mispelled) and they would sleep like a baby and get good pain relief. Then they would have someone react the exact opposite.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • advertisement
  • I agree with everybody's comments which brings me to my story today

I have been going to the same pm clinic for the past four years here in east TN...going monthly with an adequate Rx and no issues...well, within the past month the doctor that owned the clinic sold it to a pm doctor and his two pm sons
    ...so today's visit was the first with the new doctors/owners. The previous doctors' nurse called me last month letting me know about everything and saying that if the reduced my Rx too much where I started withdrawals or not being able to function then give him a call to meet...so I was expecting, at the very least, the get cut some on my Rx which would be devastating

...well, go in today and happily they did not reduce my Rx...probably because I'm under DEA's silly and imaginary 120mg morphine equivalency....BUT...their office policy is 2 week appointments with a 15 day Rx supply....he said, and get this, that the reason was because there are so pillson the streets (we do have an issue in the area) that by writing 2 week Rx there would be less supply of pills on the streets if anything were to happen...I did keep a straight face

I just could not keep quiet...I told him that I had been in pm for almost 17 years and have never
    ...missed an appointment
    ...been late for an appointment
    ...cancelled an appointment
    ...failed a drug screen
    ...been off even one pill during my monthly counts
    ...never called in early for a Rx
    ...never lost/had stolen/misplaced a Rx
    ...accepted every procedure done even though they didn't work

I said that the office was doubting my ethics and reliability in handling my Rx by having 2 week appointments besides the outrageous additional medical costs and time off from work...he said he understood what I was saying but here's your 2 week Rx and we'll see you in 2 weeks for a refill

...and then he commented on my high blood pressure...I told him it's always high coming in here because I don't know what to expect and if the rug is going to be pulled out from under me...but I did a 24 hr blood pressure monitor at my pcp and I do not have high blood pressure

edited 12/16/2016 - 2:44 PM
    Doctors are going to find ways to make money off of this and I think you are seeing it first hand scinmyheart. Being a trustful patient is not meaning as much these days. Hopefully you will do this for short period and they will go back to normal way once trust is gained with new doctors.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,365
    There is another side to this "2 week appointment 15 day refill" proposal. Unfortunately, most of this does boil down to financial gains.
    Most of you know, that besides my wife being in the medical field, many of my closer friends are doctors and others in the medical field.

Who stands to have a financial gain with this type of procedure? It is the manufacturer of the specific medication in question.

Doctor "A" starts a 2 week appointment policy and maximum 15 day prescription for example Medication "Z", Doctor "A" will receive additional income from co-pays or direct patient payments due to having that additional appointment. However, most doctors would not want that additional piece. That means more administrative work from their offices.

This would also impact the pharmacies. Thats more work on their part and it would also mean additional efforts in terms of maintaining inventory levels of Medication 'Z". Without a 15 day limit, the pharmacies could make sure that enough of Medication "Z" is ordered and to have in their in house inventory. With a 15 day refill policy, that means that the pharmacy has to do more work in ordering to make sure they have the item in stock. With opioids, the pharmacies can not just order xxx amount per month to cover their anticipated needs. There is a limit.

There would also be more work for the insurance companies. Today, when you hand in a refill prescription for opiods, the pharmacy has to verify and get approval from the insurance company. Today, they would be more limited to the 30 day refill policies. But if a 15 day limit was in place, they would have to change some of their procedures. And for some companies, that could also mean changes required to the software, so that will cost them.

But some one is making money on this!! WHO ??

The company that makes Medication "Z" would be selling more of that item, so they would be the ones with the financial gains. The more of this product they can sell to the pharmacies, the better for them. Just like any manufacturer, the more of their product that is sold, the more financial gains they will receive.

But, lets talk reality here. From the patient's point of view, do we really care who is going to receive the financial gains!

As patients, this would be more of a burden. As describe by others in this thread, that would me more scheduling, time off, trips to the pharmacy, etc. Thats more work on our end. We have to plan more. 15 days from 30 days may not seem to be a big difference for some. But when it comes to pain management that change is major.

I hope this 15 day limit policy does not become a norm or a state or national policy.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: [email protected]
  • advertisement
    One always wishes they could see the full picture of the heath industry to know the why's and reasons behind decisions sometimes . Hard to understand looking from the outside .
  • I really wish there could be a way that all of us that have been down the road of goofiness from the politician's, doctors and pharmaceutical companies could actually speak out to people that would make changes for the better.

I am absolutely blessed to have a PM who trusts me, believes what I'm telling him and holds me accountable. Like other's, I've never had a bad drug test, pill count, missed apt, etc. I also had the DNA test done which proved other medications did not work on me. But yet, Worker's Comp is being the butt's trying to deny my care. If it's not the government cracking down on legitimate doctors and patients, it's the insurance companies getting us the other way. Some how, some way this has to change!
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,432
    Am I the only one sending emails to State Representatives and Congressmen?
    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my Medical History
  • I am in my second battle with Worker's Compensation in KY. The judge has 20 more days to respond with her decision if I'm allowed to continue Facet Joint Injections. After she rules, I have a document ready to go to the Governor of KY along with President - Elect Trump. I'm waiting until my case cannot be influenced by a political figure locally based on what I'm sending them.

Because of how the laws are in KY, there is no way a workers comp patient can get a fair and impartial hearing involving WC. I've spoken with a lawyer who "May" be interested in a Class Action Lawsuit against the state in order for every person who has lost coverage or medication under the WC system to sue in order to get their services returned in accordance with their original Settlement Agreements. Our argument is based on the fact that in KY, you cannot legally pay an attorney to represent you in a WC case AFTER your original settlement. So, when they re-open your case, which happens to everyone, you are forced to represent yourself. That's why we feel the law passed in 2010 is unconstitutional. The US Constitution guarantees Right to Counsel, but it will be up to a judge to decide if that applies to a workers comp case.

I'm bringing this up because if, (Big IF) this comes to light, I am going to get the word out big time of what all chronic pain patients have to endure just to get some type of relief.

Keith
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,432
    Keith, thank you. Workman's Comp is as bad, if not worse, than fighting for disability. I've had my share of dealing with them when I was a pharmacy technician.
    As I've stated before, my pharmacist is also our State Representative. He has gotten some bills passed in the state of Indiana that benefits the patients. But, like he said, he cannot do it alone. He needs the whole House on board to get more and better bills in place. He told me to write to everybody, tell them your story. Bills need to be passed that will help everyone nationally, not just Indiana.
    Good luck on your case, keep us posted.
    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my Medical History
advertisement