Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Recovery Plan Post Schwannoma Surgery

Hi All,

I just had my surgery to remove a Schwannoma between my L3 and L4 (right side) and was discharged yesterday after staying over night. It was a complete resection of a tumor that was wrapped within the
nerve and it took about 2.5 hr. According to the NS it was bigger than a
grape but smaller than a golf ball.

I feed pain in the incision area right of the spine and a small area below the incision. Right now I'm taking
norco every 6 hrs for the pain.

I have some slight numbness on the inside of my right knee as well as a the outside part of my right thigh that didn't exist pre-surgery. Sometimes I feel the numbness is getting better other times it does not.

Have not been able to eat solids
consistently. I have been burping a lot but not passing gas much.

The norco knocks me out and I'm constantly sleeping and waking up only for food and bathroom.

Below are questions that hopefully someone who's gone through this situation can advise:

1. How long post surgery did you stop needing to take the pain medication?

2. Did you experience any numbness post surgery and did it get better with time?

3. How long post surgery did you start eating normally and having normal bowl movement?

4. Is it advisable to sleep as long as possible for recovery? What is a good daily schedule for post surgery to recovery?

Thanks

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,433
    Vanxing, I am so sorry for not responding earlier.
    Years ago I had a tumor removed at T11, it was benign, that was wrapped around my spinal cord, just to let you know I know how you feel.
    Everyone is different so we'll just go by how you feel. If you are not in a lot of pain back off the meds.
    Numbness could be from nerves being compressed for so long. They are trying to wake up and be quite nasty little things.
    Being on pain meds can mess up your digestive system so you might want to take something for constipation.
    But if you get too concerned please call your doctor.
    Keep us posted on how you are doing.
    Click on the link below for more valuable information.
    /forum/discussion/66152/announcements/spine-health-announcements/welcome-spine-health-how-get-started#latest
    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my Medical History
  • Thanks Sandra!

It's been exactly a week post op and I've scaled back the pain medication. It was originally 1 pill every 6 hrs, I'm doing more 1/2 pill every 8 hr or so. I actually have more discomfort from my bruised hand from the iv needle than in the lower back.

I do not feel any pain in the incision area. The area below the incision in the right lower back, hips and above the knee is both sensitive and sore. I think it's nerve related. Has anyone experienced this before?

• advertisement
  • Just read your post. I had a spinal schwannoma removed less than 2 years ago and had pain, sunburn feeling in outer thigh on the right tumour side. Gabbapentin treatment a nerve drug helped diminish the pain. The area hip to knee on right thigh is still numb. I had a shot in my thigh and did not feel the needle go in. Still go to the gym and work cardio on the bike and glider. Occasionally the area gets tight, sore, maybe some nerve issue. Hope this info helps, I do not take medication regularly but do when needed.

• LizLiz Posts: 8,914

The member that created this has not been back to the forum since so I am closing it

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.