Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

2 failed epidural injections. What's next? Post your experiences

• @dilauro Thank you for sharing that! I am going to keep positive and optimistic about this whole thing even when it is hard <span>:smile:" alt=":smile:" height="20" /></span>
  • Shelia,

I had three consults before surgery. I think initially most surgeons say no to surgery for younger people. I believe they want you to exhaust all conservative measures first. After that they maybe move toward a surgical resolution. Please use surgery as absolute last resort. Cant undue what is cut on.

• advertisement
  • @dmo that's true. I have two radio frequency for L5-S1 on 2 weeks. I'm just a little confused because the pain management said it was a tear in my disc but now the orthopedic said its something with the facet joints? So now I'm like huh? Is that the same or is the disc just protruding out and compressing my facet joints. Ugh confusing. Hoping that helps me! Staying positive tho <span>:blush:" alt=":blush:" height="20" /></span>
  • LTee43 Oh wow. I hope they can help you! Not fun living this way.
  • itsautonomic yikes! so scary. I'm scheduled for a ct too to look closer into my disc and the nerves. More $$$ to spend.
  • advertisement
  • mlsmmls MarylandPosts: 11
    I did have surgery (in 2005 at age 40), although I wish I didn't have to ... and I'm honestly still unclear if I absolutely needed it or not, but my surgeons said I did (I was losing neurological function of my arm due to a ruptured disc (C6-7) that happened when I rolled over in my sleep--and I was a very active former athlete, so it's not just couch potatoes that can rupture a disc in their sleep, lol!). I've dealt with chronic pain since.

I know of people who have had numbness that subsided without surgery. They've achieved this through gentle bodywork and even just mindbody work. If you want to know more about this and what I've done to reduce my chronic pain (debilitating burning, pressure pain, and other terrible sensations), see my website URL in my signature line. I include a brief description of all the treatments (meds, shots, PT, etc., etc. etc.) that I've tried and what has
    worked best for me. Note, I did get significantly better through myofascial release
    physical therapy, which takes a whole-body approach to healing. Also reading many books helped me to understand that pain can be caused not just from structural abnormalities.

I'm not a doctor and I don't know what's right for you, but what I've done, and do, is rest when I can. I also
    like over-the-counter heat patches and I use a Theracane to massage my trigger points when they're bad (but not too bad, because I could only do this when my pain came down from the earlier horrible pain). I also found books by John Sarno, Peter Levine, Steve
    Ozanich, and John F. Barnes, among others, to be very helpful (my website also lists other books I've found helpful).

Best of luck to you!!

(if you want to read about my story and what I've done to reduce my chronic pain, see my personal website: http://healingfromchronicpain.com)
  • @mls I am hoping the radiofrequency helps me out because I'd hate to be one of those having surgery when it could of been avoided. That is going to be my LAST resort. I've been living this way for 7 months now, although have always had back issues. I was athletic too, doing lots of spin class and I'm thin so weight was never an issue. Thanks for sharing your website, I'm checking it out right now.
  • Re the pain meds giving you terrible headaches - I have a similar problem. I am currently on OxyContin plus Endone - a combination which can generate dreadful migraine type headaches for me. The problem turned out being the amount of the drug. The current dosage for base pain management is not quite enough but increasing the dose to the next level brings on the headaches. Instead, I take 2.5mg of Endone (1/2 a tablet) up to 4 times a day to supplement the OxyContin. Taking the meds this way allows me to step up the base control by about half a step. It's not perfect but it helps.

If you are taking quick release pain meds you might be able to try halving the dose - you may find that this will give you pain relief without triggering the headaches.

NOTE: I am not a medical practitioner - I am just sharing my experience. I do know, however that you should NOT, under any circumstances, break a slow release medication. I strongly suggest that you discuss this potential solution with you doctor first to see if it is safe to do this with your particular medication.
  • Explore every option before surgery, try and look at all those who have had surgery, usually its not just the surgery, its multiples. Once they open you up, things tend to start falling apart. I best advice, have patience, yes you are in pain, but once you get that under control with meds, yes use them that's why we have them, explore the various means of healing. Just have patience, eat right, take some good natural supplements that will aid in healing and work along the pharma meds,
  • Well guys.Last Thursday I thought I was having a radiofrequency ablation but nope the doctor decided to change that to a nerve block. So far it's been a week and NO success. I am still in the same pain I was before, if not worse than I was. I honestly don't get it. It's becoming so frustrating living like this. I am considering getting a second opinion, perhaps through a neuro surgeon? Thoughts?