Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

2 failed epidural injections. What's next? Post your experiences

advertisement

Comments

• Just be so very, very careful. Many spine surgeries and procedures (injections, ESI, RFA etc) make one vulnerable to arachnoiditis. Be knowledgeable and educated about what you decide to pursue. Little things that may help some are finding the best way to stretch, a huge pregnancy pillow for the best sleep, best of luck.
  • Shelia,

I would get a minimum of three opinions. I believe neurosurgeons are best for spine issues. I agree with Jbot, get things under control with meds first then decide on surgical route if absolutely necessary. I am sorry I had fusion surgery. Would never do it if I had second chance. I also agree, be careful how many injections you have, they can have adverse effects. It truly is hard to know what is best course of action.

You have a wealth of information right here. Listen to these chronic pain patients as they will give you great advice. I cant say I had any lasting results with injections. Choose wisely.

dmo

• advertisement
  • @loveisgreater Wow I had no idea. I meet with my PM doctor next friday and going to really address my concerns with that and also see if I can get different meds. Thanks for your input.
  • @olderthandirt I'm hoping that's my next step in this process and it works miracles for me but I will be getting a few opinions. My doctors don't seem that incompetent because one minute it's disc protusion, ddd, then there was a tear in my disc then the next said something about the facet joints? I'm not sure what to believe.
  • @dmo Thanks for your reply and yes please DM your story. I love this message board, you guys are all so helpful.
  • advertisement
  • Hi Guys! Well I had a facet joint inject in my L5-S1. The pain doctor asked ME which injection I'd benefit from the most. L5-S1 or SI? WHAT? Aren't you the doctor shouldn't you be making recommendations based off my symptoms. This has been an everlasting issue and I am getting so tired of living my day to day life in pain. I'm not sure what caused me to have these issues to begin with, bad genes perhaps?

Anyway, so I'm scheduled next Tuesday to meet a neurosurgeon who specializes in SI issues. I'm thinking maybe it is my SI after all as I have such a hard time sitting. I don't see my INCOMPETENT pain doctor again for another 3 weeks and that's not going to slide. I'm praying for some type of relief. I understand they have to rule out everything but jeez it's been almost 5 months of treatment by them (I've had this constant pain since Sept '16 so almost a year)

• sbvegas990sbvegas990 Posts: 4
    edited 06/16/2017 - 3:45 PM
    olderthandirt In my case, unfortunately the doctor really doesn't know what's causing my pain. They're guessing. I guess it's all experimenting anyway :(

Thank goodness for this board though! It's helped me out so much. And just knowing there's people who can share their stories/know my pain is absolutely wonderful.

Yay! That's great you're feeling better. Nothing like feeling like yourself again :)

I will keep you guys posted. I see the neurosurgeon Tuesday.
  • sbvegas990sbvegas990 Posts: 4
    edited 06/22/2017 - 4:28 PM
    I met with the neurosurgeon Tuesday. I have very high hope. He knew automatically there were issues with my L5-S1 disc and is having me get a flex X-ray of me leaning forward since that enhances my pain. I am also scheduled to get SI joint injections. He thinks there are multiple issues going on. My poor spine. I'm happy I found someone who knows what they're talking about. It'll probably be another 2 weeks before I have my SI injected because he has to send me to a different PM doctor. BOY, I cannot wait!!
  • I had an RFA done yesterday from T2 to T5 and I still have pain, maybe not as bad. I have a follow up on 7/13 so I'll see how I feel then. This is probably my 26th procedure since I started in 2012.

Diagnosis: Thoracic facet syndrome & cervical and thoracic radiculopathy from car accident trauma.
  • Hey everyone. I met with the new PM doctor today. Seems very knowledgeable. He said I have a series of issues going on. His main concern is addressing my SI joints as they are contributing to the majority of my pain. He also noted there is in fact an annular tear in my L5. He advised that since my previous injections didn't work that the next step may be surgery? But his main concern was getting my SI joints in shape since I am in so much pain sitting. He mentioned there may be a third contributor to all of this, something about SI joint cysts? I am confident in this new doctor, he spent at least 30-40 minutes with me and answered all of my questions. I'm having my SI injection in two weeks and staying positive it will be fixed. He assured me that things will get better and I am most certainly hoping so. I also met a therapist this week and going to start going once a week so that I can change my way of thinking and cure the depression I've been dealing with. Hope all is well with you guys. I will keep you posted!

advertisement