Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Quick update on the 'Toe'

About 6 weeks ago, I posted that I had broken my big right toe. 2 weeks later after seeing a local podiatrist, I was told it was not broken but I had a nasty infection. The doctor did NOT do an x-ray but used the industries tool of a tuning-fork. Get the tuning-folk humming, put it on top of the suspected to. If it was broken, the patient would jump and scream. I did neither, therefore, in their mind, no break!
The toe still wasnt getting any better, this week I had my normal 5week appointment with my physiatrist. She had me take my sock off and she said, You need an x-ray now! She explained that because of all the nerve damage and neuropathy I have in my right leg and foot/toe, I would never feel the vibrations from the tuning fork. I went for the x-ray and the toe was broken. Its a intra-articular type of fracture. I then went to a podiatrist that my doctor friend recommended.
This doctor told me about the break, but since I have so much arthritis in my foot, its hard to tell were the fracture begins and arthritis ends. He gave me a cortisone injection and is giving me two weeks to see how it feels. If there is no improvement, he wants to do Toe surgery! Fuse the break and scrap off what he can.

Guess my days of being a professional football player are out the tube now with a damaged big toe!

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: [email protected]
advertisement

Comments

• Tom Brady is breathing a sigh of relief--you won't be taking his job, after all!! ;)

Hope you'll be able to avoid surgery!!
    Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,635
    Tom Brady, well maybe, I was after Eli's job
  • advertisement
  • AkiraAAkira Redlands, CAPosts: 82
    Professional Wine Taster for you Ron.
    Akira/Chuck
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Thanks for update!

It's so good your physiatrist gave you proper diagnosis!
    If I'm remembering correctly, this is your long time doctor who knows you very well. ....which is priceless!

Hope you to feel better soon!

Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

Chuck,

I worked in the Wine industry for 5 years before joining IBM in 1974. I retired in 2009 and went back working as a wine consultant.
    In between that time, I ran many home wine tastings, plus several Wine/Gourmet dinners for over 100 people at our Lake club.
    So, wine has always been right next to me.

I've taught wine appreciation, I've visited many vineyards, done tons of research and have tasted some of the finest wines from France, Germany and Italy. Now, California has really entered the picture and I love those wines.

A day without wine is like a day without sunshine.

• advertisement
  • You can be the professional picnic footballer Ron. My sister had toe surgery and can still kick a beach ball :-)

I have a blow up globe 'beach ball' for bouncing off the wardrobe for therapy, if you want to borrow that? I will miss my travelling around the world from bed but anything for a good friend :-)

Fingers crossed on developments, surgery if necessary and healing after.
    AJ
    AJGormit
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
    AJ, tell you what see what kind of good kick you can get out of the beach ball and with some good prevailing winds, it might make it over to CT, USA..... If not we just have to closer the distance between kicks
  • I will wait for a wind from the East and do my best :-)

My kicking foot is not on best form at the moment, so it could end up in Ireland!

Failing that, I ordered it from the RNLI website lol! Do a bit for charity :-)

Get better soon and keep laughing, it's the only way
    AJ

AJGormit
    Spine-Health Moderator

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
    AJ. its folks like yourself with the upbeat approach that makes laughing and smiling so very easy. As you know, it can be the best medicine.
    Now if the ball winds up in Ireland, hmmmm, I could take my wife there, since a good portion of her heritage is on the Irish side.

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,437
    And I'll add some cajun dust ************ to sprinkle over the toe. Keeps bad juju away lol
    It always helps Kimmy out!!

Take care Ron, hope there is no surgery in the near future.
    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my Medical History
advertisement