Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Need Advice

My mother is 73 years old and suffers with many spine related issues (osteoarthritis, scoliosis, degenerative disk disease etc). She's recently had issues with pain radiating to her hip. After multiple trips to her PCP, she's been referred to a specialist. She had a MRI on Wednesday- the doctor's PA called and said they wanted to do another MRI with contrast to rule out metastatic because the radiologist saw "something to that shouldn't be there". Needless to say, she and I are terrified. Has anyone had any experience with a similar situation? Any advice?
We are in an uproar waiting for insurance to approve the second MRI. This is a frightening situation.
Thank you,
Michele
advertisement
1

Comments

  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,432
    Hello mkriz000

    Welcome to Spine-Health

    I know it's easier said than done but try not to worry about something you have no control over.
    Like your mom, I have all the spinal issues plus some (please read my medical history), so I totally understand the concern.

    Please click on the Welcome link below as well as the System Tutorial for more information.

    Welcome to Spine Health

    All new members should take the System Tutorial

    Please let us know when she has a date for her next MRI.
    Both of you take care.
    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my Medical History
  • Thank you so much for the responses. I appreciate the kind words and support. I feel lucky to have found this site...just reading some of the posts has helped me deal with this situation.
    I will definitely have my mother check this out. ☺ She's fairly new to technology but is learning.
    The doctor ordered a MRI with contrast of the lumbar and thoratic(I hope I spelled that right) spine. In the words of the PA "to rule out metastasis". She has no history of cancer.
    We hope to hear from insurance on Monday with approval. It's frustrating to depend on their approval before we are able to get this taken care of....the waiting is torture.
    I will post an update as soon as we find out when her MRI will be scheduled.
    ❤❤

  • advertisement
  • My mother enjoys coloring also - and playing games on her tablet. ❤
    The pre-approval process is ridiculous and I wish these companies would stop holding us all hostage. I've calmed down some since yesterday...I've decided to concentrate on the positive. I think my mother is handling this much better than I have. She's a tough lady...a lot stronger than I am.
    I appreciate you responding to me...your kindness is comforting.
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,432
    mkriz000

    Tell your mom to "hang in there" and stay busy.
    And I'm glad you calmed down, for your sake. If either of you have any questions please feel free to ask.
    Take care.
    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my Medical History
  • We have an MRI with contrast scheduled for tomorrow at 9am. Neither of us are getting much sleep and my nervous stomach is keeping me from eating. Fear is a dangerous thing...it really is.
    I will post and update after we know the results. Please send us prayers and good thoughts. ❤
  • advertisement
  • Thank you so much for the support ❤ ❤ You are so sweet to take the time to offer words of encouragement.
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,432
    mkriz000

    Good luck tomorrow with your mom.
    Also, ask for a copy of the MRI, always. You will need it if she is referred to someone else and when she sees the specialist again.
    You are both in my prayers :-)
    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my Medical History
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,432
    I was checking on you and your mom. How did it go today?
    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my Medical History
  • Well...they ended up doing a ct scan instead of an MRI with contrast. There were some questions about the order so we ended up driving to another town twice to get the test ran. She had a ct scan without contrast...so I'm super confused on what's going on now.
    We started at 8am this morning and didn't get home until after 1pm. Mom is exhausted and is now more concerned because she feels like everything today was handled wrong...which I agree with!
    We haven't received any phone calls so I'm hopeful something will come through tomorrow. I guess another night in purgatory.

    I'm sitting on my back porch watching the dogs play and thinking how all this feels surreal. I know we are just another number to the doctor....but you'd think they could've at least communicated the orders correctly.

    Luckily there was a sweet lady in the imaging department that helped us and tracked the radiologist down...though he still might want to do a MRI with contrast after this. Wow, just wow. I don't know what to think at this point.
  • Howdy :)

    We've received some good news - the ct scan was ordered to rule out metastasis and it did!! No signs at all (thankfully). We went back today for the MRI with and without contrast. Hopefully we are closer to figuring out what's causing her hip pain.

    I will post another update when I have more information...we are thrilled the worst case scenario has been ruled out.
advertisement
Sign In or Register to comment.