After the soft tissue has healed (usually 2 to 3 weeks after surgery), it is important to start back strengthening exercises.
In This Article:
- Postoperative Care for Lumbar Microdiscectomy Surgery
- Pain Management After Microdiscectomy Surgery
- Stretching Exercise after Microdiscectomy Surgery
- Back Strengthening Exercises After Microdiscectomy Surgery
- Return to Exercise After Microdiscectomy Surgery
- Microdiscectomy Surgery Video: A Spine Surgeon Explains the Procedure
There are a wide variety of possible exercises to achieve the desired results, and it is important to choose exercises that are safe and well tolerated by the patient so that they will be done on a regular basis.
More Exercise Info:
About 15 minutes of appropriate stretching and strengthening exercises per day is advisable for the first one to three months.
Four point stabilization exercises are often recommended. The patient kneels on the ground and raises one arm and extends the opposite leg behind him/her. This exercise helps to strengthen the large back muscles (erector spinae) and also helps educate the back muscles to keep the back in a stable comfortable position.